Subject: New shark conservation research priorities paper out today
From: David Shiffman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 28 Jan 2022 09:12:17 -0500

Dear colleagues,

I am pleased to share with you a new paper out this morning. It's entitled
"The next generation of conservation research and policy priorities for
threatened and exploited chondrichthyan fishes in the United States: An
expert solicitation approach," and can be found open access here:
https://conbio.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/csp2.12629

Many early career researchers in our field report that they want to use
their research to generate results that help to conserve or manage
threatened sharks and rays, but also report that they do not have the
policy knowledge to effectively know what exactly that means.

To address this gap, we used an expert solicitation approach (surveying 86
experts in the science, management, and conservation of threatened
chondrichthyan fishes in the United States) to generate a list of
outstanding research priorities. Many of you reading this e-mail
contributed, so thank you!

These research questions can help focus our research efforts on pressing
questions whose answers policymakers, managers, and advocates need.

We also asked our assembled experts about outstanding policy priorities for
threatened sharks and rays in US waters, and asked about the species they
think need to most attention.

In total, we present thirty-five research priorities and twenty-seven
policy priorities that we hope will help to guide the next generation of US
research on threatened species of sharks and their relatives. We hope this
paper is useful to you and your team, and that you'll consider sharing it
with other colleagues.

Sincerely,

--

*David Shiffman, Ph.D. *
Marine Conservation Biologist, Scientific and Environmental Consultant, and

*e: *[log in to unmask] | *t: *@WhySharksMatter
<http://twitter.com/#!/WhySharksMatter> |
*b: *Southern Fried Science Blog <http://www.southernfriedscience.com/> |
*cv:*