Subject: naturalists short course in elasmobranch Biology at Bimini Bahamas
From: Sonny Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 6 Jul 1996 08:26:10 -0400

Bimini Biological Field Station
9300 SW 99 Street
Miami, Florida 33176-2050 USA
Saturday, March 2, 1996

Samuel H. Gruber
Tel     305 361 4146
Fax     305 274 0628

THIRD NATURALIST'S SHARK BIOLOGY COURSE AT THE BIMINI BIOLOGICAL FIELD
STATION--TENTATIVE DATE: August 22-28, 1996

  Herewith follows the course description:

This unique course will include at least 20 hours of illustrated,
non-technical lectures on a variety of topics such as:   The kinds of
sharks and how they evolved;  structure and adaptations of sharks;
interaction with humans including conservation and exploitation, medical
and social aspects such as attacks and repellents;  the behavior of
sharks with emphasis on their sensory adaptations;  how sharks work
including reproduction and modes of development and finally an
explanation of the research on the lemon shark that has been carried out
at Bimini for the past decade.

But the heart of the course is the half dozen or more field trips which
will feature all the scientific work that the researchers do at Bimini
including the capture and tagging of large sharks;  surgical implantation
of telemetry transmitters;  tracking of telemetered sharks and the
collection of juvenile lemon sharks for  genetic sampling and marking
with PIT microtags.  Perhaps most interesting will be the in-water
observation of at least 5 species of free swimming wild sharks.
  If the timing is right for you and you want to
join us, I will send you an application with tuition and travel information
 via email, fax or post.  Once you decide, please email me or contact me
at 305 274 0628 and let me know that you are interested in coming.

Samuel H. Gruber
Bimini Biological Field Station
9300 SW 99th St.
Miami, Florida 33176-2050