Subject: ecosystem management, any ideas?
From: "Jennifer Upchurch (Jennifer May)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 9 Jul 1996 10:59:25 -0500

Hi, my name is Jennifer Upchurch and I am working as an intern this summer
for Gene Buck at Congressional Research Service.  My project is dealing with
the emergence of ecosystem management  in fishery legislation.  As we have
seen with the Magnuson Act Reauthorization, the ammendments dealing with
bycatch, fishing gear, and habitat protection take into account other aspects
of the ecosystem.  What I am interested in are recent issues or possible
future concerns involving the ecosystem approach which might be considered
in fishery legislation in the future.  One example is the recent concern of
interest groups over "industrial" fishing at lower trophic levels for bait/feed, etc.
and the effects on the higher trophic level species.  The project is at the
beginning stages right now and any help or ideas are appreciated.

Thank you,
Jen Upchurch