Subject: Preserving frozen fish specimens
From: John Wullschleger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 Jul 1996 18:00:33 -0400

         Can anyone tell me whether fish that have been frozen at
         -70 C for up to a year and a half can be transferred to
         alchohol or formalin and used as reference specimens?  I am
         concerned that they might be damaged by freezing to the point
         that they are not recognizable or at least not in good
         enough condition to be useful.  The species in question is
         northern clingfish (Gobbiesox maeandricus), which is
         typically found on the undersides of ledges in the intertidal
         zone of the Pacific Coast.

         Thanks in advance.

         John Wullschleger