Subject: ECOSYSTEM MANAGEMENT
From: Rui Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 10 Jul 1996 12:52:21 -0500

On Tue, 9 Jul 1996 10:59:25 -0500
"Jennifer Upchurch (Jennifer May)" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> [...]  What I am interested in are recent issues or possible future concerns
> involving the ecosystem approach which might be considered in fishery
> legislation in the future.  One example is the recent concern of interest
> groups over "industrial" fishing at lower trophic levels for bait/feed,
> etc. and the effects on the higher trophic level species.  The project is
>at the beginning stages right now and any help or ideas are appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Jen Upchurch

Vol. 25 of "Fisheries Research" presents a few very interesting reviews
of the evolution of FISHERIES SCIENCE / FISHERIES MANAGEMENT. One of the
most interesting aspects I found was the one on the concept of "REGIME
SHIFT". Basically the idea is that the ecosystem is not a fixed,
non-changing entity, and there may be several "equilibrium" states for
"one" ecosystem.

To put it more bluntly, I think that the idea of "Ecosystem Mitigation"
or in general all ideas on Ecosystem Management that rely on a "steady
state" of a particular system -- and I am not talking of the fisheries!
-- are biased toward trying to keep unchamged something that "normally"
changes.

The idea apparently is not new and came to being over the changes in the
North Sea "system" in the 70's and 80's. One of the recommendations
arising from this concept is that Ecosystem Management should be based
on assessments of the energy flow through each system -- including the
fisheries and other human "inputs" --, instead of on a fixed biomass for
target species, or environmental parameters.

Rui de Paula e Silva <[log in to unmask]>
P.O.Box 18438, Baton Rouge, LA 70893
Tel./Fax: 1-504-381-8429