Subject: Re: B.L.Olla's and al.article
From: "P. Unmack" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 12 Jul 1996 08:30:10 -0700

On Fri, 12 Jul 1996, Brian Bigler wrote:

> Among the pleasures that I enjoy from my subscription to FISH-ECOLOGY is
> the professional respect that is accorded all postings.  I'm mystified as
> to why someone could find a simple request for an article to be
> (apparently) offensive.  Now, I don't know what resources the colleague
> in Australia has at his disposal, but isn't it possible that he was
> thinking that his request would attract the attention of like-minded
> researchers?

If someone wants to interact with like minded researchers they can easily
post an introduction to their work.  That worked exceptionally well for
me.  Melbourne University is about 10-15 minutes walk from the Victorian
State Library.  After a 30 minute or so wait one can have the journal in
their hands to photocopy the article of relevance.  Also, what ever
happened to interlibrary loans?  I can understand someone from an
underdeveloped country asking for assistance but not Australia and not
for such a common journal.  If everytime I wanted a particular paper that
was not in my university library this list would soon become very cluttered.

Tootles

Peter J Unmack                             [log in to unmask]
PO Box 1454
Tempe  AZ  85280-1454, USA
DESERT FISHES RULE: To boldly thrive where no other fish can make it!

Check out the Australian desert fishes pages at
http://www.utexas.edu/depts/tnhc/.www/fish/dfc/
just click on the Australian portion of the map