Subject: SEEKING SAMPLING HELP !!!
From: Ecologia Pesquera - Invemar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 17 Jul 1996 14:22:04 +0500

Dear Listservers:

We are a group of undergraduate students that is working in a research
project over the Caribbean coast of Colombia. We are collecting fishes
with a demersal trawl net. The original project contemplated that a
monthly sampling were to be made. Unfortunately, our ship has suffer a
severe damage in the motor, and we have to depend on someone's else ship.
For this reason we have made a cruise on November of 1995, another on
April of 1996 and the next ones will be done on August and November of
1996. Each cruise could have between 5-7 stations. We made a
30 minute trawl in every station. Originally, we are identifying all the
fishes in the trawl,
analyzing the stomach contents and gonads of 2 families (Balistidae and
Lutjanidae). We are afraid that the end of the project uses only this 4
samples (which so far, the first 2 cruises gathered around 2.200 fishes).
With all the fishes we are attempting to analyze the relative population
dynamics, using mainly the length and weight.

Would it be possible to get enough data to do a "good" thesis, with the
above situation? We would like to use a quantitative analysis, rather
than a qualitative one. Is it possible to do some trophic analysis with
only 4 cruises? The cruises correspond to a dry, wet, dry, wet season
(between November of 1995 and November of 1996).

We would appreciate any and all the comments and HELP on the above
matter. We are trying to make a urgent decition over our thesis. Any
additional information do not hesitate to request it.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Cordially,

Dominique von Schiller
Orlando Duarte