Subject: Re: Adaptive Management
From: Craig Fusaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 22 Jul 1996 14:18:51 -0700

On Wed, 17 Jul 1996, Heather McIntire wrote:

> I am looking for references, personal experiences, or even opinions relating
> to adaptive management. This management strategy is being investigated as a
> tool for habitat restoration projects. All suggestions and comments would be
> appreciated.
>
>         What is adaptive management?
>
>         Do you think that adaptive management can be an effective tool?
>
>         Have you worked with a project that had an adaptive management policy?
>                 How well did it work?  What were the problems, limitations, and successes?
=================================>

Dear Heather:

The term "adaptive management" has certainly come into vogue again since
Dr. Holling elucidated his concept of it in the 70's. I understand that a
court-ordered resolution of water rights on the American River is being
guided by this style. I think you would be very interested, also, in
reading a book written in 1993 by someone intimately involved in this
concept on the Columbia R.

Lee, Kai N. 1993. Compass and Gyroscope. Island Press. Washington DC and
Covelo, CA.

Dr. Lee provides interesting insight into the process of integrating
adaptive management science and politics into a possible system of what he
refers to as "social learning" directed toward sustainable resource use
for societies.

    /      Craig Fusaro, [log in to unmask]                      \
   /        +Santa Barbara City College                      \
  /         +Joint Oil/Fisheries Liaison Office               \  __//_
 /Q         +California Trout, Inc.                           J <_)___><<