Subject: Re: Mid Atlantic Ridge Fishery Development
From: Steve Branstetter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 23 Jul 1996 13:34:19 GMT

On Jul 22, 1996 19:06:07, '"J. June" <[log in to unmask]>' wrote:

>Does anyone have information about a newly developing deep water
(800-2,000 m)
>bottom longline fishery developing on the Mid Atlantic Ridge south of the

>Iceland EEZ and the Azores?  There was an interesting article in the July

>edition of Fishing News International.  I was wondering if anyone is aware
of
>any stock assessment work that ICES or others may have conducted on the
>deepwater finfish fauna in this area??

As I have some personal experience fishing in this area, I would hope some
of
the responses come back to the list, not just personal replies to Mr. June.
would be interested in knowing what is targeted there, and even more, who
is
crazy enough to go there.  I'll have to get the referenced article.

In 1986, I was part of an exploratory scientific fishing effort which spent
3-4
LONG weeks in mid-October in about that locale; we were south of
Greenland/Iceland and northwest of the Azores (a godforsaken place). {I'm
not
sure I'd go back if I were the major partner in a gold mining operation
there.}
Fishing between 500-3000 m, about all we caught were a few (1 or 2)
Antimora
rostrata, several large white ophidioids which were not identified until
returned to the US and I don't know the name, some large skates (Bathyraja

alba, if I remember right), and a greenland shark.   Although the ophidioid
was
large, appeared to have a good flesh quality, and we caught several, I
can't
image they are abundant enough for commercial harvest; nor were the
Antimora
common.
--
Steve Branstetter