Subject: Re: Mid Atlantic Ridge Fishery Development
From: "J. June" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 23 Jul 1996 13:05:26 -0400

On July 22, 1996 Steve Branstetter wrote
>As I have some personal experience fishing in this area, I >would hope some
of the responses come back to the list, not >just personal replies to Mr.
June. Iwould be interested in >knowing what is targeted there, and even more,
who is crazy >enough to go there.

I have two reference documents on catches on the North Atlantic Ridge.  The
first is a popular commercial fishing magazine Fishing News International,
July 1996, titled, Atlantic Ridge Longlining Success: A Fish on Every Hook".
 The second article is in Norwegian and was a trip report on a trawler
written by Lars Lovund.  The catches consisted of Beryx splendens (golden eye
perch), Hoplostethus atlanticus (orange roughy), Molva molva (ling) Epigonus
telescopus (cardinalfish), Reinhardtius hippoglossoides (Greenland halibut),
and Sebastes marinus (redfish/ocean perch).  The test fishery was conducted
by a joint Icelandic and Norwegian joint venture and appeared to be
economically viable.

I am just wondering if enough is known about the abundance and distribution
of these deep water species around the sea mounts on the Atlantic ridge to
make any estimate of MSY.  Given that most of this area is outside of
anyone's EEZ it would seem this might be a question for ICES members.

Regards, Jeff June