Subject: Re: Mid Atlantic Ridge Fishery Development
From: Donald Flescher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 24 Jul 1996 09:54:49 -0400

In regards to Jeff June's question and Steve Branstetter's request that
people reply to the list (concerning deep water fish on the mid Atlantic
ridge):   I was recently at a deep water fish symposium held by the
Fisheries Society of the British Isles in early July.  One of the papers
in the list of abstracts was titled
"Northern Mid-Atlantic Ridge(42-50N) Icthyofauna Characteristics.  Some
Results from the Russian-Norwegian Deep-Water Expedition in
September-October 1993."  by Hareide et al.

According to the abstract the expedition "covered 11 underwater mountains"
in depths from 500 to 1000 meters and encountered 30 species covering 25
families.  Bottom trawling, not longlining was the sampling method, however,
I thought that this might be of interest anyway.  The paper was withdrawn
later and so it was not presented; therefore, all the information I have is
from the abstract.  I would imagine, though, that knowing there was a joint
Russian-Norwegian expedition would be useful (I hope anyway).

Regards
John Galbraith