Subject: Re: residualsim in steelhead/cutthroat
From: "O. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 24 Jul 1996 08:08:00 PDT

Dear Jon,
You wrote:

"I was wondering if there has been a high
incidence of residualism occurring in the Snake
River Basin within the last 10 years or so..."

I have also heard of residual steelhead, but haven't been able to track down any
specific information.  I asked our steelhead expert Peggy Busby, and this is
what she wrote:

 I have not heard of this in the Snake River; however, there appears to
     be a problem with residualization in Oregon's Deschutes River.  This
     is generally attributed to the growth rate and size at release of
     hatchery fish.  I don't see why the same thing wouldn't occur in other
     areas, such as the Snake River.  I think that ODFW's Rich Carmichael
     would be a good contact for this discussion.  Kathryn Kostow might
     also be familiar with it.

     Peggy

Both Rich and Kathryn work for ODFW.  Kathryn is on temporary assignment with
the NMFS in Portland, her e-mail address is:  [log in to unmask]

I am also interested in the issue of residualism, especially for anadromous
cutthroat trout.  I'd appreciate being kept informed about what you learn
regarding steelhead and if anyone has information on residual cutthroat trout,
I'd appreciate hearing about that too.

Thanks, Orlay Johnson

Dear Jon,

what she wrote:

 I have not heard of this in the Snake River; however, there appears to
     be a problem with residualization in Oregon's Deschutes River.  This
     is generally attributed to the growth rate and size at release of
     hatchery fish.  I don't see why the same thing wouldn't occur in other
     areas, such as the Snake River.  I think that ODFW's Rich Carmichael
     would be a good contact for this discussion.  Kathryn Kostow might
     also be familiar with it.

     Peggy

Both Rich and Kathryn work for ODFW.  Kathryn is on temporary assignment with
the NMFS in Portland, her e-mail address is:  [log in to unmask]

I am also interested in the issue of residualism, especially for anadromous
cutthroat trout.  I'd appreciate being kept informed about what you learn
regarding steelhead and if anyone has information on residual searun cutthroat