Subject: Re: FISH-ECOLOGY Digest - 22 Jul 1996 to 23 Jul 1996
From: Rui Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 24 Jul 1996 11:25:53 -0500

On Tue, 23 Jul 1996 13:34:19 GMT, Steve Branstetter
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> As I have some personal experience fishing in this area, I would hope some
> of the responses come back to the list, not just personal replies to Mr. June.
> I would be interested in knowing what is targeted there, and even more, who
> is crazy enough to go there...

I hope some Portuguese -- hopefully an Azorian -- answer your comments.

Meanwhile, and just from my Portuguese ancestry, I would like to remind
that there is a TRADITIONAL deep-sea hand-lining fishery off Madeira
(and probably also off the Azores) for a strange, long, compressed fish
which in Portugal is called "peixe-espada" ("sword-fish") and which is
delicious. Unfortunately I don't know the scientific name of this fish.

I understand that the traditional fishery has turned in the last 20 years
as something more industrial, probably with long-lines. And I'm also sure
that there are assessments of this fish in local journals.

Rui Silva <[log in to unmask]>