Subject: Re: Portuguese peixe-espada
From: Jose' Azevedo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 25 Jul 1996 15:02:04 +0100

At 14:25 96/07/24, J. June wrote:
>On July 24, 1996 Rui Silva <[log in to unmask]> wrote:  >A strange,
>long, compressed fish which in Portugal is called >"peixe-espada"
>("sword-fsih") and which is delicious.
>
>I believe the fish Mr. Silva was describing is Aphanopus carbo, whose common
>name is the black scabbardfish accoring to FAO.

No, the fish Rui Silva is describing is Lepidopus caudatus, the silver
scabbard fish. Aphanopus carbo is called "Peixe-espada preto (= black)" in
portuguese. L. caudatus is found in much shallower water than A. carbo
(down to 400 m, according to FNAM). The black scabbard fish is captured in
large quantities in the mainland Portugal and in Madeira. It certainly
occurs around the Azores, but is not usually fished here - the silver one
is so abundant that fishermen cannot be bothered to go get the deeper
living species.

In any case, I think the original posting reffers to _international_
waters. At least I hope so.

Jose' Manuel N. Azevedo

Departamento de Biologia, Universidade dos Acores
(http://www.uac.pt)
R. Mae de Deus, 9500 Ponta Delgada, Acores, Portugal

Phone: + 351 96 65 31 55; Fax + 351 96 65 34 55
E-mail: [log in to unmask]