Re: multipart/related with no parent part?

Einar Stefferud <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 1 Jul 1996 11:30:38 -0700

text/plain

Hello Laurence, et al --

Coming out of our IETF MHTML WG meeting, it was generally agreed
informally that it will be a good thing if we apply reasonable amounts
of effort during our "last call" period to generalizing our MHTML and
Multipart/Related documents to handle other than just HTML objects.

Your suggestions fall in this category of generalization. To
facilitate the work, it is important to have contributions of
replacement text for the editing team to consider. So, please submit
rough editing instructions for us to consider.

Jacob Palme is our primary editor, but I would like to ask our edit
review team from Montreal to continue to assist Jacob in getting
everything right for our "WG last call" which we want to announce in
July.

Hopefully we can complete the entire set of 4 documents (MHTML,
Multipart/Related, CID/MID, and MHTML-INFO) by mis-September, allowing
for our European contingent to get back from their summer vacations.

From Laurence Lundblade's message Mon, 1 Jul 1996 08:55:20 -0700:
}
}I would like to propose rearranging the parameter named "type" in
}multipart/related so that multipart/related can be used for compound
}documents that have no "parent" part. The value in this is in a generic
}form for aggregation. A client app can then offer run an external viewer on
}the collection even if it doesn't recognize the particular compound
}document type. That is the app would have different defaulting behavior for
}multipart/related than for multipart/mixed.
}
[SNIP...]
}
}
}Laurence Lundblade, Qualcomm Inc <[log in to unmask]> 619-658-3584