Re: Summary of decisions at the Montreal MHTML IETF meeting

IETF working group on HTML in e-mail <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Jul 1996 12:29:28 +0200

text/plain

[log in to unmask] said:
> This rewriting can be done either at the HTML layer (using "&" entity
> references or numeric character references as defined in [HTML2]
> section 3.2.1) or at the MIME layer (using Content-Transfer-Encoding
> as defined in [MIME1] section 5).

Suggested alternate text for the paragraph:

 The entity generating the HTML MAY choose to send non-ascii characters
 as themselves, in which case the document will use a MIME
 content-transfer-encoding, or it MAY choose to represent non-ascii
 characters using entity references or numeric character references
 as defined in [HTML2], in which case the document can be sent in the
 default "7bit" content transfer encoding.

This avoids giving the impression that the "MIME layer" and the
"HTML layer" are the "same kind of thing", I think.

             Harald A