Subject: Re: Summary of decisions at the Montreal MHTML IETF meeting
From: Einar Stefferud <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 4 Jul 1996 22:51:19 -0700

I lean toward full agreement that the fact the HTML allows bare CR and
LF in addition to CRLF, and allows non-7-bit characters without
labeling is completely taken care of by normal MIME Transfer-Encoding
rules, without needing to be mentioned in our MHTML specs.

It is HTML that is already specified to be tolerant of of the CR, LF,
& CRLF alternatives, so HTML must always be able to handle all of
these cases.  This is not an EMAIL issue, since MIME will always
deliver what it was given;-)...

Best...\Stef

If anything is mentioned, it shoudl be an explanation of what we are
agreeing to here about why it shoudl not be mentioned.

Best...\Stef

From Gavin Nicol & Albert-Lunde messages Fri, 5 Jul 1996 02:39:30 GMT:
}
}>Line breaks do matter to rendering within <pre></pre> markup. The main
}>reason HTML/HTTP, historically, has been tolerant of use of LF CR and CRLF
}>as line breaks, is not related to rendering. Rather, it was allowed
}>as an optimization to allow sending files out over the net more
}>quickly with HTTP.
}
}Correct. Which was probably a red herring.
}
}My objection is based simply on the fact that I cannot see why we need
}to even mention numeric character references or entity references, and
}*especially* numeric character references. These are entirely separate
}from the issue of tranfer encodings.