Subject: Re: Summary of decisions at the Montreal MHTML IETF meeting
From: Jacob Palme <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 18 Jul 1996 10:24:52 +0200

On Fri, 5 Jul 1996, Gavin Nicol wrote:

> My objection is based simply on the fact that I cannot see why we need
> to even mention numeric character references or entity references, and
> *especially* numeric character references. These are entirely separate
> from the issue of tranfer encodings.

We all agree on
(a) How this should work
(b) That any HTML encoding belongs to the HTML layer, not to the
    MIME layer

The question is whether this agreed opinion is made most clear by
(1) Stating it explicitly in the text, as I prefer, or
(2) Omtting or mention of the HTML layer and its encoding.

I prefer (1), since omission is not a good way of clarifying
things to people who read a document. Omisssions can be
easily misunderstood.