Subject: Re: New IETF draft for MHTML now ready!
From: Larry Masinter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 18 Jul 1996 14:42:45 PDT

I like your wording, except for the stuff about default charset:

> The present document does not make any further specifications except
> for the default MIME "charset" parameter:
> If this parameter, when transferred through HTTP, the default is [HTTP]:
>           content-type: Text/HTML; charset=ISO-8859-1
> but when transferred via e-mail, the default is [MIME1]:
>            content-type: Text/HTML; charset=US-ASCII
> To avoid confusion, the MIME Content-Type parameter for Text/HTML
> SHOULD always include an appropriate charset value, and not rely on
> defaults.

I suggest replacing all of this with:

# Some transport mechanisms may specify a default "charset" parameter if
# none is supplied[HTTP1,HTTP2,MIME]. However, when HTML is
# transferred through mail, the charset parameter SHOULD be included,
# rather than relying on the default.