Subject: TIME OUT! -- Re: Revised text for draft-ietf-mhtml-spec
From: Einar Stefferud <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 26 Jul 1996 23:14:33 -0700

GentlePeople, All..

This CHARSET/ENCODING text situation is out of control, and I am
stepping in with heavy hand to cut the Gordian Knot;-)...

In every discussion, we have strived to convey to Jacob that his
diagram (Fig 11.1) must go, as it does not help to explain and only
confuses things related to the issues of HTML Character Sets, and MIME
encoding.  We have also made many suggestions to reduce the text to
not mention various extraneous issues and thus reduce the resulting
confusions.

Since Jacob has not been able to remove the offending text to the
satisfaction of the WG, I must ask someone else to take a shot at
writing some acceptable text in place of sections 11.1, 11.2, and
11.3, at a minimum.  It is not fair to Jacob to ask him to struggle
further with writing the required text to resolve the issues here.

The rule I am applying is that the document editor is bound to either
execute the directives of the WG, or let someone else write the
required text.  While doing this, I must duly note that Jacob has done
a superb job of bringing us this far in the work, and I must say that
I am taking this step reluctantly in the best interests of all,
especially Jacob.  We owe a lot to Jacob for his efforts.

I herewith nominate Martin J Duerst <[log in to unmask]> to replace
these sections with text that he understands will conform to the
discussions we have had in the WG mailing list.  He is not constrained
to use of any of the original or revised text, but to strive to
understand the issues and deliver text that does what is needed.

The results will be subject to full WG review, comment, and revision.

The shorter the new text, the better.

Best...\Stef