Subject: Re: Version 02 of draft-ietf-mhtml-spec and draft-ietf-mhtml-info
From: Jacob Palme <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 Jul 1996 18:02:23 +0200

On Mon, 29 Jul 1996, Albert Lunde wrote:

> "Alternative 2" is a strange notion that hadn't previously occured to me.
> I think the best protection against this is thinking of the MIME mechanisms
> (charset and content-transfer-encoding) as a transport-layer, and the
> HTML/SGML mechanisms as a higher-level layer applied after the MIME
> stuff is resolved.

That is why I wanted to include a figure, which shows exactly what
you are saying, that HTML and MIME encodings are different layers.
But I have been forced to remove the figure, because other people
did not like it. I still would prefer to keep the figure.

On Mon, 29 Jul 1996, Martin J Duerst wrote:

> Again, it is not the mhtml group that can choose here. First, although this
> might not be specified very explicitly, it is clear to everybody working in
> this field of "charset"s that Alternative 1 is the right one; Alternative 2
> leads to problems as you show it. Second, specifying one or the other
> alternative, if there indeed was one, is not our task. If we think that this
> is not done precisely enough, we should have the appropriate documents
> (http-1.1, html-i18n,...) changed. It would be hilarious if "charset" meant
> e.g. Alternative 1 with HTTP, but Alternative 2 with email.

If something is not specified very explicitly, but "clear to everybody"
this is something which should be said explicitly.