Subject: Re: Summary of decisions at the Montreal MHTML IETF meeting
From: Bill McQuillan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 3 Jul 1996 19:08:28 +0200

On 3 Jul 1996 10:32:06 +0200, Jacob Palme <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>The sending of HTML messages via MIME e-mail can be seen as two layers
>of encoding:
>
>Displayed text            Displayed text
>(e.g. with a              (e.g. with a HTML viewer
>HTML editor)              or Web browser)
>     |                         |
>HTML markup               HTML markup
>     |                         |
>MIME encoding--transport--MIME encoding
>
>                Figure 1
>

>If the displayed text contains non-ascii characters, these characters
>might have to be rewritten if the transport (as is common in e-mail) is
>set to handle only 7-bit characters.
>
>This rewriting can be done either at the HTML layer (using "&" entity
>references or numeric character references as defined in [HTML2]
>section 3.2.1) or at the MIME layer (using Content-Transfer-Encoding as
>defined in [MIME1] section 5).
>
>In sending a message containing non-ascii characters, both these
>rewriting methods for non-ascii characters MAY be used, and any mixture
>of them MAY occur when sending the document via e-mail. Receiving
>mailers MUST be capable of both decoding at the MIME layer and mapping
>at the HTML layer.  MIME decoding MUST take place before mapping at the
>HTML layer.

I think that the diagram could be made clearer with some arrows
and a few changes of wording:

Composed text              Displayed text
(e.g. with a               (e.g. with a HTML viewer
HTML editor)               or Web browser)
      |                         ^
      v                         |
HTML markup                HTML markup (decode)
      |                         ^
      v                         |
MIME encoding             MIME decoding
      |                         ^
      v                         |

------      Bill McQuillan
UNISYS, Mission Viejo, California, USA; Tel: +1.714.380.6311
Another address: <[log in to unmask]>
This speaks for itself. It may speak for me, but never for my employer!