Subject: Re: Summary of decisions at the Montreal MHTML IETF meeting
From: Larry Masinter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 3 Jul 1996 22:09:50 PDT

> However, there are some differences as to the default character encoding,
> specified by the MIME "charset" parameter, if this parameter is omitted.
> When transferred through HTTP, the default is [HTML2]:
>         content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
> when transferred with electronic mail, the default is [MIME1]:
>         content-type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

I believe that after some last-minute wrangling, the HTTP/1.1
specification is going to recommend sending a charset parameter
ALWAYS. This is also the recommendation for mail. So rather than
making a big deal about HTML in HTTP vs. mail, I think the mhtml draft
should just support always sending "charset=" in mail, with a note
that if you get something text/html from a HTTP that didn't send the
charset in the first place, you should supply it when you send it out
in mail.

Larry