Subject: Re: Summary of decisions at the Montreal MHTML IETF meeting
From: Einar Stefferud <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 4 Jul 1996 00:01:22 -0700

Thanks Larry --
I agree with your analysis and your position on this...\Stef

From Larry Masinter's message Wed, 3 Jul 1996 22:09:50 PDT:
}
}> However, there are some differences as to the default character encoding,
}> specified by the MIME "charset" parameter, if this parameter is omitted.
}> When transferred through HTTP, the default is [HTML2]:
}>         content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
}> when transferred with electronic mail, the default is [MIME1]:
}>         content-type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
}
}I believe that after some last-minute wrangling, the HTTP/1.1
}specification is going to recommend sending a charset parameter
}ALWAYS. This is also the recommendation for mail. So rather than
}making a big deal about HTML in HTTP vs. mail, I think the mhtml draft
}should just support always sending "charset=" in mail, with a note
}that if you get something text/html from a HTTP that didn't send the
}charset in the first place, you should supply it when you send it out
}in mail.
}
}Larry