Subject: Selenium -Reply
From: JOHN DORKIN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 13 Sep 1996 10:14:47 -0400

Perhaps this may help. Selenium analyses were performed as part of a
study here, where we collected some biota and sediments from Indiana
Harbor area ( Lake Michigan) in 1988 and passed them through for
metals analyses.  Sediments were all below a detection limit (BDL) of 0.6
ppm (dry) for selenium.  Carp selenium ranged from 1.1 to 5.5 ppm (wet).
Gizzard shad selenium ranged from BDL  to 2.3 ppm (wet).  Alewife
were mostly BDL with one at 0.7 ppm (wet).  Crayfish, sunfish and
scraping of periphyton were all BDL (wet).  Goldfish were 1.6 to 1.7 ppm
(wet) for selenium.  There may be other studies where selenium has
been measured on the Great Lakes in fish tissue, but I have not seen
data myself.

>>> Terry Haines <[log in to unmask]> 09/12/96 12:14pm >>>
Fish Netters:

        Some help please.  I am interested in the potential of selenium to
reduce the uptake and/or toxicity of mercury to fish.  I know very little
about this element.  Is there a selenium expert out there that could tell me:

What is the normal concentration range of selenium in marine versus
fresh waters?
What is the normal concentration range of selenium in tissues from
marine and freshwater fish?
Is the chemical form of selenium in marine and freshwater similar?  If not,
how do they differ?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Terry Haines

*Dr. Terry A. Haines              (as of 1 Oct: U.S. Geological Survey,    *
*National Biological Service                 Biological Resources Division)*
*University of Maine                     email: [log in to unmask]     *
*5751 Murray Hall                        voice: 207-581-2578               *
*Orono, ME 04469-5751 USA                fax:   207-581-2537               *