Subject: Fishes & Odonata
From: "A. Matsuo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 13 Sep 1996 19:32:37 -0400

To whom could help me:

        I wonder to know about what have been used to the control of Odonata
nymphs in tanks and ponds of fish-culture, specially at the early life
stages of fish, when the larvae are at their highest vulnerability. Are
there any kind of biological control, with a natural predator of the nymphs?
I read about organochlorides like Neguvon and Folidol used in earth ponds in
Brazil, but it has not been well-succeeded, because of the high mortality of
natural live food as well. Furthermore, the spectrum of this substances
along the trophic chain is not known. So, what could be the best approach to
the reduction of predation by this insects? I wish also to know how could I
estimate the density of this organism in a earth tank about 600m2. Is the
distribution made at random, or in an aggregated? Are there preference for
the tank edges? Are there any type of "trap" available to estimate the nymph
population?

        Thanks in advance.

ALINE YURI OTSUKI MATSUO.
National Institute of Amazonian Research - INPA
Caixa Postal 478 - Manaus - AM - BRAZIL
CEP 69011-090
e-mail: [log in to unmask]