Subject: Macroalgae shading
From: "M. Pedersen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 17 Sep 1996 01:27:50 -0400

Dear readers:

My colleagues and I are investigating effects of shading on intertidal and
subtidal macroalgae.  While there appears to be a good deal of literature in
the Pacific northwest, and other areas, documenting impacts to the more light
sensitive eelgrasses (Zostera  sp.) due to shading of piers and other
over-water structures, there isn't much known about shading affects to the
several species of macroalgae.  It is known that piers wider than about 8
feet can shade out eelgrass, an important habitat for a number of species.

We have developed a shading impact model using known light requirements for
two species, Ulva and Laminaria.  Affects of shading are predicting based on
pier height and width, average water depth, compass orientation
(north-south), and latitude.  The observations of macroalgal depth
distribution under, and adjacent to, existing north-south piers has so far
born out the general predictions of the model.  I would be interested in
hearing from other researchers who may have established light parameters for
other macroalgal species, such as Sargassum, Iridaea, Botryoglossum,
Gigartina, Microcladia borealis, Odonthalia sp., Polysiphonia sp., Rhodomela
larix,  Nereocystis, or Fucus.  Also if there are others who are studying the
problem of intertidal shading and mitigation of impacts.  Thanks much.

Mark Pedersen
Seattle, Washington