Subject: Re: Shark research at theBimini Biological Field Station
From: Sonny Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 29 Sep 1996 18:26:02 -0400

FINAL CALL FOR THE FALL OF 1996:  VOLUNTEERS WANTED FOR SHARK TRACKING AND
FIELD RESEARCH AT THE BIMINI BIOLOGICAL FIELD STATION, S. BIMINI, BAHAMAS

Dear Shark Enthusiasts:
I am seeking a few volunteers to help continue our tracking studies on
young lemon sharks begun in 1993.  This fall for the second season in a
row, we plan to use special speed-sensing transmitters to determine, in
detail, the activity rates of 1.5 - 2.1 meter lemon sharks.

Sharks will be captured on longlines and fitted with the previously
calibrated speed transmitters.  In addition, we will surgically implant
18-month coded transmitters so that the sharks can be followed for long
periods.  We expect the speed transmitters to be shed after several days
so they will have to be recovered, rebatteried and recalibrated before
catching a new shark to study.  We plan to do at least six sharks and
possibly more.   We already have four sharks with coded transmitters from
our summer Earthwatch project.

We plan to start on November 2, 1996 and continue through the spring of
1997.  If you wish to join us you must be able to pay room and board at
Bimini ($395/mo) and stay for a minimum of one month, preferably longer..

Last year's work, presented at the American Elasmobranch Society meeting
in June formed the basis of Fred Sundstroem's (University of Linkoeping,
Sweden) MS thesis.  I believe the comming work can also make a very nice
research project for a Master's Thesis and I am seeking, among the group of
volunteers a student already enrolled in an MS program-- interested in
pursuing this study for their degree work.

Here is our tentative schedule of activity for 96-97:

1996-1997 BBFS PROJECTS CALENDAR ( tentative dates)

November 1,1996 Start of research season Volunteer staff instituted,
telemetry tracking, tagging, administer experimental "first aid" to
stressed sharks after "chase-down" and capture.  (3-4 High School students
will attend once a month for research experience this season)

November 28 to December 3, 1996 (6 days) US thanksgiving holiday;
Naturalist Shark Course for Portuguese Students (volunteers vacate)

December 12 to 18, 1996 (7 days) Shark Biology Course for students of
Carolina Coastal University (volunteers vacate).

December 19, 1996 to January 2, 1997 Winter Break-Christmas/New Year

January 5 to 14, 1997 (10 days) University of Miami Tropical Marine
Biology Course-MBF 514.

January 14 to April 12, 1997 Research resumes (volunteers return)

April 12 to May 12, 1997 Longline for adult lemon sharks, catch pregnant
female, deliver young, collect DNA samples.  End of research season -some
volunteers return home

May 12 to June 7,1997 (these dates are approximately and will not last the
entire 27 days) PIT Tagging Program.  Selected volunteers to come

June 7 to 24, 1997 Break 17 days (possible Shark Biology course).

June 24 to August 31, 1997 Earthwatch Project-new volunteer staff
recruited from Winter and PIT volunteers.  AES meeting takes place in
Seattle in the last week of June

If you wish further information please contact:

Dr. Samuel H. Gruber
Bimini Biological Field Station
9300 SW 99 Street
Miami Florida 33176-2050