Subject: Fluorochrome Mark-Longevity
From: Paul Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 3 Dec 1996 13:14:21 +1100

Fish-Ecologers

There seems to be a wealth of literature concearning the use of chemicals
such as OTC, alizarin, calcein etc for marking fish otoliths. Most of this
is published after the tchniques are developed for a new species or a new
chemical and explore the mark-success rate, and associated mortality rate.
Some even consider detection-rates after a short period of time. However,
what's lacking is the long-term story. Do these substances provide good,
long-term marks in otoliths?

We have an application, in which we wish to batch-mark Australian freshwater
fish fingerlings 25-50 mm(by immersion) so that we can discriminate between
wild-recruited, and stocked fish at a later date (i.e. 12 months to a few
years later).
Has anyone out there got any case-histories / recommendations /
horror-stories to tell about the longevity of fluorochrome marks ??

If so, please reply directly to me and I'll publish a summary of responses
later.

Thanks.

Paul Brown
Senior Scientist, Inland Systems Division
Marine and Freshwater Resources Institute
Snobs Creek
Private Bag 20
Alexandra
VIC 3714