Subject: Re: Electroshock procedures
From: Geoff McMichael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Dec 1996 09:55:35 -0800

Glenn,

        It very well could be your problem.  There is some literature on the
effects of electroshock on egg viability, both in adults, and after eggs
have been fertilized. Most of the work I am familiar with has been on
salmonids, however. In general, conclusions have been been fairly
consistent.  Females that have been shocked have lower egg viability than
females that have not been exposed to electrical current.  A couple
references relating to effects of electrofishing on gamete viability follow
(there are several others available on the effects of electrofishing on
developing eggs);

Marriot, R.A. 1973. Effects of electric shocking on fertility of mature pink
salmon.  Prog. Fish. Cult. 35(4):191-194.

Roach, S.A.  1996.  Influence of electrofishing on the survival of Arctic
grayling, chinook salmon, least cisco, and humpback whitefish eggs.
Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game, Fishery Manuscript No. 96-1. 26 pp.

        Hope this helps,

>Fish Folk,
>
>I have a question that is related to the discussion of electrofishsing. We
>use electroshocked crappie (Pomoxis annularis and P. nigromaculatus) for
>strip spawning
>in my lab. Is anyone aware of any effects of electroshock on egg viability,
>that is, could our problems with successfully strip spawning crappie be due
>to the fact that the female was electroshocked?
>
>Glenn Parsons
>University of Mississippi

Geoffrey McMichael
Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife
801 S. Ruby St.
Ellensburg, Washington 98926
(509)925-4467   FAX (509)925-4702
E-mail: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]