Subject: Re: Oysters and SAV's
From: John Christensen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Dec 1996 16:13:29 EST

Dear Colleagues,

I am in search of information on the interaction (if any) of oysters and
submerged aquatic vegetation.  Specifically, why do they not co-occur at micro-
scales.  It seems intuitive that the presence of extensive oyster reefs would
inhibit establishment of seagrass communities; however, the reverse effect of
seagrasses on oysters is less transparent.  Is it possible that elevated
predator densities within seagrass beds result in extensive spat mortality
thereby preventing the establishment of reefs in preexisting SAV beds?  It also
is conceivable that this phenomenon is an artifact of pre-emptive resource
competition for suitable substrates.  I would greatly appreciate any information
or thoughts you may have on this topic.  Thanks in advance.

John D. Christensen, Fisheries Biologist
NOAA/NOS/Strategic Environmental Assessments Division
Silver Spring, MD 20910