Subject: Re: Historical steelhead runs in the Columbia -Reply
From: Tom Wainwright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 5 Dec 1996 11:49:35 -0800

On Dec 2, 10:18am, Mark Bowen wrote:
> Subject: Re: Historical steelhead runs in the Columbia -Reply
>
>    The original poster, Bruce Watson, and I both work on steelhead in the
> Yakima/middle Columbia area. I would be interested in the source of that
> 100,000 individuals estimate. If it is not any trouble I would certainly
> appreciate the reference.

We found the estimate in the "Washington State Salmon and Steelhead Stock
Inventory" (SASSI) report on Yakima summer steelhead.  That report refers to:

Smoker, W.A.  1956.  Evaluation of the potential salmon and steelhead
production of the Yakima River to the commercial and recreational fisheries.
 Report the the Washington Department of Fisheries.  19pp.

I don't have a copy of the Smoker report, but someone in WDF should be able
to get it for you.

--
Tom Wainwright, [log in to unmask]
National Marine Fisheries Service