Subject: Re: cataloguing fish and invertebrates
From: Dr Steve Oakley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 10 Dec 1996 12:58:21 +0800

ref your posting,

did you get any replies, if so what please forward details

we use our own for our biodiversity collection and perhaps should change if
there is a sensible alternative

thanks

At 12:37 PM 19/11/96 -0800, you wrote:
>I am looking for a numbering system to catalogue photographs and data on
>about 1500 + species of fish and marine invertebrates. I have seen a
>numbering system used at the American Museum of Natural History and several
>books I use give numbers for various fish families.  I have seen some of the
>codes used by the FAO Taxonomic Code.
>
>Which coding system is the most widely used and available?  Would someone
>please recommend a widely used coding system for both fish and aquatic
>invertebrates that I could use as part of my database.  I have photographed
>different specimens of the same species so I am looking for a cataloguing
>system for species and specimens.  I would like to use it to link different
>databases together (taxonomic, geographic, photographic etc.) so the data can
>all be linked for the same specimen.
>
>Although I could create my own numbering system it would be more useful to
>use an existing numbering system so that my database would have some
>relevance to the outside world.
>
>Directions to a widely used, adaptable numbering system that I could use
>freely would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
>
>yours sincerely,
>Richard Lord
>Sealord House, Montville Road
>Guernsey GY1 1BQ Great Britain
>Tel: +44 1481 700688
>Fax: +44 1481 700699

Dr. Steve Oakley,  Shell Prof. of environmental Science, Institute of
Biodiversity & Environmental Conservation,  Universiti Malaysia Sarawak,
94300 Kota Samarahan, Sarawak, Malaysia  [log in to unmask]  Fax  082
671903  Tel 082 671000 x 254 or 260