Subject: Reference on prey size selectivity by birds on fish
From: Shawn Patrick Good <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 10 Dec 1996 17:20:53 -0500

Hello everyone :

First, please excuse the cross-posting if you received more than one
copy of this letter !!  I'm trying to post to both fisheries and
wildlife people here.

I have exhausted all avenues of literature searching only to come up
nearly empty-handed.  I am looking for papers that investigate avian
predation on stream dwelling fish and lake dwelling fish.  I would like
to find out if there is any evidence of birds preferentially taking
larger fish or smaller fish as prey items.

I am doing my Masters on Atlantic salmon alevins and it appears
through otolith microstructure analysis that there has been a shift
over the summer to small sized alevins, meaning there has been some
kind of size-selective mortality ocurring on larger alevins.  The only
predators present in the river system on which I work are birds (ie.
belted kigfishers, common mergansers) and sea trout.  However, the
sea-run brook trout do not really start congregating in the river
until the late summer early fall, although there are some residents.
Therefore, I believe that fish predation is relatively limited.

In summary, I'm looking for help with references on :

1.  Size-selective predation by birds on young fish in (A) streams
    and rivers and (B) lakes.  (I would like to see if there are any
    differences between these two environments.

2.  I would also like to see if there are any examples of this being
    found with respect to fish predators on other fish.

Examples where the prey are juvenile or larvel fish would be best.

Thanks to all in advance.  You can reply directly to me at :
[log in to unmask]   or you can repost to the list if you want
others to see what you have to say.

Thanks again !!  Shawn P. Good

Shawn P. Good
Centre Interuniversitaire