Subject: Re: CYANIDE, DYNAMITE & LIVE FISH in SE ASIA
From: Dr Steve Oakley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 11 Dec 1996 09:55:42 +0800

you may be interested in the comment i got personally from gregor in Hong Kong!
my replies are in CAPITALS
regards
                steve oakley

>From: [log in to unmask]
>
>>I agree with S1-2, especially 2. But in some cases a combination of command
>>and control enforcement and local enforcement might work best. For example,
>>Sumilon is often used as a model park, but in fact, when it was turned
over to
>>the local people for a period, they plundered it. The best conservation
>>occured when there was an armed guard from Siliman University stationed on
the
>>island. Sometimes the local pressure for short term gains, particularly when
>>the benefits accrue to a few powerful people, outweighs any reasoned approach.

>>I think S 4 and 5 are really important too. We need to start building some
>>serious protection ala African game parks. This funding must come from the
>>west.
>
> AGAIN AGREED, MY PAPER AT THE WORKSHOP SAID JUST THAT.
>
>The point on research I think should be to encourage more applied
>>research. The question for example of what effects cyanide fishing has on
>>coral reefs in actual usage has not been satisfactorily addressed. We keep
>>hearing about destroyed reefs by cyanide. In my experience, this is not
>>common. How can we encourage these dusty academics to get out and do
something
>>useful before Rome burns to the ground?
>
>I DON'T KNOW ABOUT DUSTY BUT I HAVE 3 ONE MONTH EXPEDITIONS AND 4 ONE WEEK
TRIPS BETWEEN JAN & SEPT TO TRY AND DOCUMENT THE DAMAGE TO THE REEFS OF
SABAH,  I ALSO HAVE A TV CREW ALONG FOR EACH OF THE 3 ONE MONTH TRIPS,  ANY
CHANCE YOU OR YOUR STUDENTS WOULD BE INTERESTED
>SEE OUR WEB PAGE
>
>http://www.unimas.my/~nick/marres.htm
>

>REGARDS
>

>STEVE

Dr. Steve Oakley,  Shell Prof. of environmental Science, Institute of
Biodiversity & Environmental Conservation,  Universiti Malaysia Sarawak,
94300 Kota Samarahan, Sarawak, Malaysia  [log in to unmask]  Fax  082
671903  Tel 082 671000 x 254 or 260