Subject: Re: Reference on prey size selectivity by birds on fish
From: Rob Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 10 Dec 1996 21:30:02 -0800

Shawn:
This is not my area, but I know of two theses on loons, cormorants, and
others feeding on fish. Species and size selection are <probably>
covered:
1. Shelley Matkowski about 1987 University of Manitoba worked on small
lakes stocked with rainbow trout, brook trout, and maybe splake trout.
2. Barb Hanbidge about 1985 University of Saskatchewan worked on large
lake with complaints of cormorants preying on walleye and other large
species.
I will try to find citations for you.  If you find them, let me know. If
you don't hear this week or next, please get back to me directly.
Rob Wallace