Subject: Reproduction and mucus
From: Tom Reinert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 11 Dec 1996 11:56:47 EST5EDT

Dear Fish-Ecology-Subscribers,
I am passing on a query from a colleague not on the list (hence,
please send responses directly to me).  The question is:  does anyone
know which fish species shed their mucus skin lining just prior
to and for the duration of their spawning behavior?  My colleague is
working on the robust redhorse (Moxostoma robustum) and they exhibit
this behavior.  I am not well versed in the reproductive strategies
of most fishes and couldn't help him.  His other queries have thus
far been fruitless.  Thanks in advance.

Thomas R. Reinert, Research Coordinator I
Georgia Cooperative Fish & Wildlife Unit
D.B. Warnell School of Forest Resources
University of Georgia
Athens, Georgia 30602-2152
Phone: (706)542-1124  FAX: (706)542-8356
email: [log in to unmask]