Subject: Re: Historical steelhead runs in the Columbia -Reply
From: Mark Bowen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 2 Dec 1996 10:18:08 -0700

Tom,

Recently, in Fish Ecology Listserver you wrote:

There is an estimate of run size in the Yakima River of 100,000 adult
steelhead, which might be extrapolated to other mid-Columbia basins
based on drainage area and habitat.  For the upper Columbia, the only
estimates we found were from dam counts starting in the 1930s--these
suggest a run size of over
5,000 steelhead above Rock Island Dam in the 1930s through 1950s, but
runs were probably already depressed by fisheries at this time.  We
found no historical estimates for the Snake River Basin.
-----

   The original poster, Bruce Watson, and I both work on steelhead in the
Yakima/middle Columbia area. I would be interested in the source of that
100,000 individuals estimate. If it is not any trouble I would certainly
appreciate the reference.

Thanks,

Dr. Mark D. Bowen
U.S. Bureau of Reclamation