Subject: Quantitative trophic structure
From: Jose' Azevedo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 18 Dec 1996 00:31:36 +0100

Dear fish folks,

        I was surprised to read in Parrish et al. (1985*) that theirs was
the only study (at the time) to integrate diet data with the size of the
predator populations. This means that they give indications of the relative
importance of each trophic category based on the NUMBER (or biomass) OF
INDIVIDUALS from the community which belong to that category. This is,
obviously, very different from just stating the NUMBER OF SPECIES in each
category, as most studies do.
        I have started a search of the literature at hand (including ASFA)
but this specific point is hard to grasp from the abstracts and/or titles.
So far I have found nothing.
        If someone knows of any other studies of this kind, can (s)he be so
kind as to toss the reference to this side?

Thanks in advance.

*Parrish et al., 1985. Fish trophic relationships that structure reef
communities. Proc. 5th Int. Coral Reef Cong., 4: 73-78.

Jose' Manuel N. Azevedo

Departamento de Biologia, Universidade dos Acores
(http://www.uac.pt)
R. Mae de Deus, 9500 Ponta Delgada, Acores, Portugal

Phone: + 351 96 65 31 55; Fax + 351 96 65 34 55
E-mail: [log in to unmask]