Subject: Re: Information on RNA/DNA ratios
From: Graham Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 18 Dec 1996 11:33:48 +0000

>        Dear Graham
>        I hope everything goes well in Aberdeen and I was
>        glad to know that your proposal was funded by FAIR. We
>        did not have the same luck with our proposal on
>        reproduction abd there are no prospects for funding in cephalopods
>        for the next year (or more ...). Nevertheles, I had
>        a national project (PRAXIS XXI) funded and I will return to
>        the ichthyology for the next three years.
>        I would like to ask your help on the following subject:
>        I have a MsC student working in a local park with
>        dolphins (T. truncatus) that is going to study the role
>        of the feeding regime on the growth and condition of
>        several animals (8). These animals are observed at regular
>        intervals and samples of urine, blood and feces are colected
>        on a montlhy basis. My question is: is it possible to use
>        the blood samples to extract the RNA and DNA to use the
>        respective ratios? Do you know any information that might
>        have been published on this subject or anyone that is
>        (or has) working in this subject?

Hello Pedro,

I will ask the person who did the work for us, Karl Siegert. I suspect it
is not possible from blood samples but I could be wrong, will let you know.

I have a related question. If you are able to study different feeding regimes in
dolphins, is there any possibility to collect dolphin faeces/regurgitates, e.g.
from the bottom of the pool. I am interested in whether cephalopod beaks are
defecated or regurgitated and how the time course for this process compares
to the passage time through the gut for otoliths.

>        We are now trying to collect as much information as possible
>        but my feeling (from preliminary searches) is that the information
>        is limited.
>        I look forward for your news on this subject.
>        I will leave next friday to spent the Christmas and new year in
>        Lisbon.
>        I wish a good Christmas season and a happy 1997.
>        Best regards
>        J. Pedro Andrade

Best wishes and happy Christmas

Graham

Dr Graham J. Pierce

Lecturer in Fishery Science

Department of Zoology, University of Aberdeen,
Tillydrone Avenue, Aberdeen AB24 2TZ, UK
Phone  44 (0)1224 272459
Fax    44 (0)1224 272396
e-mail [log in to unmask]
WWW    http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~nhi104/

AND

Scottish Office Agriculture, Environment
and Fisheries Department Marine Laboratory,
PO Box 101, Victoria Road, Aberdeen AB9 8DB, UK
Phone  44 (0)1224 295522 or 876544
Fax    44 (0)1224 295511
e-mail [log in to unmask]