Subject: New version of the mhtml -spec and -info documents
From: Jacob Palme <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 14 Jan 1997 21:10:42 +0100

I have just submitted new versions of the mhtml -spec and -info documents.
Until they get uploaded to the IETF drafts directories, you can get them
from
ftp://ftp.dsv.su.se/users/jpalme/draft-ietf-mhtml-spec-06.txt
ftp://ftp.dsv.su.se/users/jpalme/draft-ietf-mhtml-info-06.txt

The differences between the old and the new versions are:

Changes from draft-ietf-mhtml-spec-05 to draft-ietf-mhtml-spec-06

I do not believe that any of these changes is controversial.

The following text has been added as a temporary preface:

A note to the RFC editor: If the memo referenced as [HTML-I18N] has not
been assigned an RFC number when the memo below is published, you will
have to remove the references to [HTML-I18N]. That reference is not
crucial to the memo below.

Changes to the main text
--------------------------

Some trivial errors in the examples have been corrected: A few
erroneous double-quotes where the syntax does not specify quoting has
been removed and "http:/" has been changed to "http://" in one place.

Changes to the list of references:
---------------------------------

Some references to IETF drafts have been changed to refer to RFCs,
since these drafts have now been published as RFCs.

Changes to the list of authors:
------------------------------

The organization and address for Alexander Hopmann has been updated.

Changes from draft-ietf-mhtml-info-05 to draft-ietf-mhtml-info-06

I do not believe that any of these changes is controversial.

Added text immediately before chapter 4.1:

Below is described different implementation methods. Real
implementations may sometimes combine ideas from more than one of the
different methods described below.

New text for chapter 8.2:
--------------------------

Multipart/alternative outside Multipart/related

(b) The multipart/alterantive is put outside the Multipart/Related,
with Multipart/Related as one alternative and Multipart/Mixed as the
other alternative. Note however that the [MHTML] does not recommend
links from inside Multipart/Related to objects outside of the
Multipart/Related, so putting inline images outside the
Multipart/Related is not suitable. Instead, such inline images may have
to repeated in both branches of the multipart/alternative with this
method.

Example:

   Boundary: boundary-example-1

   --boundary-example-1

      --boundary-example-3

         ... plain text version of the message for recipients
         whose mailers cannot handle Text/HTML ...

      --boundary-example-3

         ... A picture associated with the plain text message  ...
      --boundary-example-3--

   --boundary-example-1

      --boundary-example 2

         ... text of the HTML document ...

      --boundary-example-2

         ... a body part, to which the HTML document has a link  ...
      --boundary-example-2--
   --boundary-example-1--

Changes to the list of references

Some references have been changed from referring to IETF drafts to
refer to the corresponding RFC.