Re: grads. jobs & fisheries

"George W. LaBar" <[log in to unmask]>

Academic forum on fisheries ecology and related topics <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 17 Apr 1997 08:47:03 -0800

text/plain

Re: Gary Grossman's request for comment on number of publications for new
hires at the assistant professor level.

We have hired three new Ph.D.s in the last year, so I have probably seen
>300 resumes, most of which were from relatively new folks. One was in
fish health, and two are in wildlife ecology/conservation biology.
However, I feel the pool would not be substantially different for a fish
ecology position. Although I can't remember all 300, I do know that in the
30 or so that floated to the top, very few had fewer than four good
publications and most had 5-7. The three we did hire had 8 (a new Ph.D.
with 1-yr. postdoc), 6 (new Ph.D. with no post-doc) and 12 (out four
years). They were senior author on 4, 5, and 6 of the papers respectively.
However, a quick survey of some of our faculty shows that our Ph.D.
graduates have closer to 3 or 4 publications when then finish.

George LaBar, Head
Department of Fish & Wildlife Resources
University of Idaho
Moscow, ID 83844