To junior & senior scientists

Aldo-Pier Solari <[log in to unmask]>

Academic forum on fisheries ecology and related topics <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 8 Apr 1997 15:33:06 GMT

text/plain

I feel I've got to write down this:

- At FE-request, I keep getting messages from junior scientists
where they tell me 'they've got to quit'. The main reasons are:

    - Cannot stand 'uncertainty' any longer
        [uncertainty with regard to funds, jobs and future
         perspectives];

    - No steady jobs;
    - No temporary jobs;

Science as a whole is loosing very valuable junior scientists, I
am afraid. Some of the senior scientists do not seem to care:
They do not have the time to do their part of the 'fight' and
those who'd have taken over some day just got to quit.

This is truly amazing in the European Community where billions of
USDollars have been and will be invested in (marine) research
during the coming years: The increments in funding seem not to
have expanded the scientific core: A few individuals participate
in 20-40 research projects/capita while juniors are denied a
place and a just-for-survival-scolarship.

    Aldo-Pier Solari