Subject: Re: grads. jobs & fisheries
From: Ron Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 16 Apr 1997 19:15:31 -0700

> There are several other comments that I would like to make with respect
> to the other posts. First, with reference to Aldo's claims that 4-7
> publications are needed to obtain a PhD today, I can only say that
> is certainly not true for a PhD in the United States.  From my
> experiences at the Universities of California and Georgia, as well as
> having served on perhaps 10 search committees, I suspect that 2-4
> publications in international journals constitute a satisfactory PhD
> at the vast majority of U.S. schools (and there are far more 2's
> than 4's).

I find these numbers rather low.  Being on the applying side of game,
my impressions may be wrong, but it seems to me that the people I know
getting research jobs in academia in the US and Canada right now have cv's
with 10-20 good papers on them, less than 10 only in rare exceptions.
(This is for Assistant Prof. jobs) and this isn't counting trivial papers.

  Also, as a Canadian, my experience a few years ago was that 2-4 papers
would have been very much on the low side to obtain an NSERC
of Canada PostDoctoral Fellowship (one of the few PostDoc positions
available to Canadians). 6-7 seemed the "acceptable" number.

-- Ron Coleman
   Lecturer & PostDoctoral Fellow
   University of California, Berkeley