Subject: Re: grads. jobs & fisheries
From: Dennis DeVries <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 17 Apr 1997 14:26:53 -0500

>If you want an academic position, you
>are much better off going straight from your Bachelors into a PhD program.
>Most 'major' PhD granting institutions treat master's students like second
>class citizens or use the degree to terminate PhD students who don't 'work
>out'.

I strongly disagree.  I suggest that pursuit of a MS degree is not
inherently good or bad, but is a decision that must be made by each
graduate student and advisor.  While there can be some benefits to
bypassing the MS degree, it provides a number of advantages that I think
Matthew overlooks.  A MS degree provides a point at which a number of
things can happen and a number of decisions can be made.  First, the
student can assess whether they want to continue with graduate school,
period.  Second, a student can use a MS degree as a point at which to
assess whether they want to continue with the program and/or advisor under
which they are working (if that is an option).  Third, and perhaps most
importantly (at least by the discussions that have been generated here), it
provides a clear point at which a student can generate a publication or two
early in their career.  For a variety of reasons (including these), I
decided to pursue a MS degree before my PhD degree, and found that it
provided a great number of benefits to me professionally.  I have felt
strongly that it was the best decision that I could have made at the time.

Dennis DeVries

 Dennis DeVries
 Department of Fisheries and Allied Aquacultures
 Auburn University, AL  36849
 334/844-9322
 334/844-9208 (FAX)
 http://www.auburn.edu/~devridr/index.html