Subject: Re: grads. jobs & fisheries
From: "Austin R. Ives" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 17 Apr 1997 17:23:43 -0400

   I also strongly disagree with M. Grober's *two cents* on strategy for
obtaining a research position...
   I had the option (and I suspect there are many others like me)upon
graduating from college to enter into a Ph.D program.  I chose not to.  I
worked instead.
   Years later...I am now completing a masters degree having just
presented my thesis research at an international conference; resulting in
my first publication.  Quite clearly I can now apply to higher quality
Ph.D programs that would not have accepted me earlier.  In addition,
graduate school has allowed me to expanded my academic horizons without
confining myself to one specific area of research.  Now that I have the
experience and skills, I feel more confident in specializing.  I think
22-23 year olds specializing straight out of undergrad deprive themselves
of the many unique experiences a master's degree offers.  Have more of you
had this similar situation?
   It may be that entering a Ph.D program directly after college has its
merits.  To say however that an MS degree is not conducive to obtaining a
respectable academic position is missing the underlying philosophy of
advanced education.  As you can infer from my argument, the MS degree is
a springboard, not fly paper, allowing self and academic exploration,
opening opportunities to the future that one would not have had less the
experience.

Thank you for listening.  I have greatly enjoyed these debates.

Austin R. Ives
NSU Oceanographic Center
Institute of Marine and Coastal Studies