Subject: Re: grads. jobs & fisheries
From: "Matthew S. Grober" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 17 Apr 1997 14:49:52 -0700

Austin:
        Your experience proves the rule that I was trying to communicate
with both the  content and intent of my message.

I wrote, "...In this case I would recommend going to a non-PhD granting
school to get a masters that will be a stepping stone to a top program."
(notation to California schools excluded...).

You wrote:

>   Years later...I am now completing a masters degree having just
>presented my thesis research at an international conference; resulting in
>my first publication.  Quite clearly I can now apply to higher quality
>Ph.D programs that would not have accepted me earlier.

That was exactly my point!  In fact, where I used the term stepping stone,
you employed the term springboard.  Don't you think that's the same basic
idea?

MGrober

Matthew S. Grober
Assistant Professor of Physiology
Department of Life Sciences
Arizona State University West                Phone: (602) 543-6939
4701 W. Thunderbird Rd.                        FAX: (602) 543-6073
Phoenix, AZ  85069-7100                     E-mail:[log in to unmask]

http://lsvl.la.asu.edu/zoology/faculty/grober.html

"No human being was ever so free as a fish."
                            John Ruskin