Subject: Job availability
From: Michael Good <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 17 Apr 1997 19:10:46 -0400

To the list:
        My name is Michael Good.  I can agree from first hand experience
that the job market for young scientists is very scarse and competitive.
I've been looking for months and cannot come up with more than three jobs
that I am qualified for, and of those, zero of them are in my state.  It is
very discouraging to my colleagues and I when we encounter such obstacles.
I have recentally thought of giving up.  Even this morning I pondered the
decision.  But, I keep trudging on.  This is what I want to do.  I want to
tell all of you young scientists who may be reading this, dont give up.  If
this is what you want to do, then set your mind to it and exhaust all your
options.  Put your head down and dig through it.  As I mentioned earlier, I
too want to quit.  It is extremely hard to even be recognized in this field.
I knew from the beginning that this field was not an easy one to get into.
I have only had two years of schooling, and this idea is very prevelent. I
cannot even get a start.  Noone wants to take a chance on us.  But, lets not
let it get us down.  Someday this world will be ours to hand down to our
kids.  We just have to wait our turn.
        I now have a question for all of you senior scientists.  As I said,
I have not found a job for this year. I graduate in May.  I was wondering if
any of you had any jobs that I would be qualified for.  I have (in May) an
Associates degree in Wildlife Technology.  This field covers subjects like
forestry, water testing and wetland delineation, species identification,
orienteering, aerial photography, park management, and even certification
for wildfire fighting.  (as of now in Pennsylvania.  I will be attepting
certification in May for national certification in wildfire fighting.)  My
current residence is in Pennsylvania but I am somewhat willing to relocate.
If any of you have any information please respond to this letter.  Thank you.

    Michael Good