Subject: BS-PD or BS-MS-Ph.D?????
From: nemeth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 17 Apr 1997 22:24:18 -0500

To the Haves, Have-nots and those in transition,

I have greatly enjoyed this forum as one who is in transition (i.e. seeking
full-time, permanent employment).  There are advantages in both going
directly for a Ph.D. or "pausing" to do a Master's first.  The merits of
both have been well presented but I would like to emphasize one benefit of
the BS-MS-PhD route that is very important in today's job market.  I feel
that I have been able to increase my marketability by doing academic degrees
within different fishery disciplines.  For instance, my BS and MS dealt with
various aspects of salmonid life history whereas my Ph.D. dealt with the
ecology of coral reef fish. I also used the temporal gaps between degrees to
gain additional professional experience.  This diversity of experience has
increased the number of jobs for which I am qualified.  With a broader
background in your chosen field you can then tailor your application letters
and resume to highlight those qualifications that are being sought.  I hope
this helps those in transition who are contemplating various choices.

Rick Nemeth

PS. I have been encouraged in my pursuit to become a "Have" by the number of
jobs (academic and professional) being advertised on FE and elsewhere. Keep
it up!

Donna and Rick Nemeth
Resident Directors                      Phone:  809-972-9322
Hofstra University Marine Laboratory         or 809-972-2519
P.O. Box 90                             Fax:    809-972-1847
St Ann's Bay                            e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Jamaica, West Indies                    email may change to [log in to unmask]