Subject: Re: Benefits of Braided Nylon nets over Monofilament
From: "S.O.Ridgway" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 21 Apr 1997 10:47:06 +0100

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997 15:53:00 +0002 "Shotton, Ross (FIRM)"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Can any list members help me with (grey literature?) references to the
> benefits of using braided nylon (or whatever) gillnets over  monofilament
> gill nets?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ross Shotton
> FAO

Lowestoft Laboratory Leaflet No. 69 (1991) by E.C.E.
Potter and M.G. Pawson entitled "Gill netting"
contains references to work by these authors and
others in evaluating monofilament and multifilament
netting materials in terms of effectiveness and
efficiency.  The authors state that "it is usually
thought that larger fish are more likely to become
entangled in multifilament nets than in monofilament
nets because of the softer texture of the twine".
However, the results of trials referred to by Stewart
(1987) and MacMullen (1983) seem to be inconclusive,
in that the former found greater incidence of tangling
of cod by multifilament nets whilst the latter found
that hake were more likely to become tangled in
monofilament nets.

For further information, contact the Laboratory under
its new title of The Centre for Environment, Fisheries
and Aquaculture Science, Lowestoft Laboratory,
Pakefield Road,  Lowestoft, Suffolk NR33 0HT, United
Kingdom.  Tel. +44 (0) 1502 562244. Fax. +44 (0) 1502
513865.

Stephen Ridgway
International Fisheries Institute
University of Hull